The Art of Product Engineering
- Tu/Th 2:00-3:20 pm
- Sequoyah Hall 147
- M/W 12:00-2:00 pm
- ECE Makerspace
- EBU1 B538
Lab Open Hours Schedule:
- T/Th 1:00-1:50 pm
- Jacobs Hall 3807
Lab Office Hours
- T/Th 5:30-7:30 pm
- F 10:00am-1:00pm
- ECE Makerspace
- EBU1 B538
This course is like none you have taken before. Our purpose is to marry theory with actual practice and to give you the skills necessary to acquire a job in the electrical engineering industry of tomorrow once you graduate. You will learn software development fundamentals, work with hardware and assemble sensors, and prepare for building a real product for a customer. The projects that you will work on in the lab portion of this class could potentially lead to publications, future collaboration with your teammates, or maybe even a startup company of your own!
This course is organized as a series of lectures by both instructors, weekly lab session by the TAs, homework, quizzes, and a final project.
- Lectures: The lectures present the core of the material for this class.
- Labs: There will be 5 labs where you will work in a team to assemble your "smart plug" during this course. Lab reports will be due MIDNIGHT on the Friday of every even week (11:59:59 pm during weeks 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10).
- Homework: There will be small programming assignments given out at the end of each lecture. These will be due on the 3rd day after the lecture by midnight (Tuesday assignments are due by Friday at 11:59:59 pm, Thursday assignments are due Sunday at 11:59:59 pm).
- Quizzes: There will be 10 quizzes given at the end of every Tuesday lecture. These will be brief and should be trivially easy if you are keeping up with the lectures and assignments. Think of them as free points for being present!
- Final Project: Besides the lab, this will be the bulk of your grade and you should get started as soon as you can. The goal of this project will be to propose a real product that you will build next quarter for a potential customer. More details will be given to you in lecture.
This is the grading breakdown for this class:
- 5% Class Participation - be present at lecture and engage with us! easy peasy...
- 10% Quizzes - 10 brief quizzes once a week (1% each)
- 15% Homework - 18 small assignments - assigned at the end of each lecture (0.83% each)
- 25% Labs - 5 labs due at the end of every other week (5% each)
- 45% Final Project - due at the end of week 10... more details to come in class!
Assignment 6: Click Here
(due Saturday 02/04/2017)
Assignment 8: Click Here
(due Saturday 02/11/2017)
Assignment 12: Click Here
(due Saturday 02/25/2017)
Assignment 14: Click Here
(due Wednesday 03/08/2017)
Assignment 15: Click Here
(due Thursday 03/09/2017)
The slides will be updated to include the latest lecture after each lecture (always in the same link):