The Art of Product Engineering (Term 2)
Term 1 (Winter 2017)
- Tu/Th 11:00-12:20 pm
- EBU1 2315
Labs / TA Office Hours
- Open Labs
- ECE Makerspace
- EBU1 B538
Lab Open Hours Schedule:
- 12:30- 2:00pm
- Jacobs Hall 3807
This course is like none you have taken before. Our purpose is to marry theory with actual practice and to give you the skills necessary to acquire a job in the electrical engineering industry of tomorrow once you graduate. You will learn software development fundamentals, work with hardware and assemble sensors, and prepare for building a real product for a customer. The projects that you will work on in the lab portion of this class could potentially lead to publications, future collaboration with your teammates, or maybe even a startup company of your own!
This course is organized as a series of lectures by both instructors, weekly lab session by the TAs, homework, quizzes, and a final project.
- Lectures: The lectures present the core of the material for this class.
- Labs: There is no structured lab time. You will be working on your project throughout the quarter.
- Homework: There will be small assignments given out at the end of each lecture. These will be due on the 3rd day after the lecture by midnight (Tuesday assignments are due by Saturday at 11:59:59 pm, Thursday assignments are due Monday at 11:59:59 pm).
- Quizzes: There will be 10 quizzes given once a week. These will be brief and should be trivially easy if you are keeping up with the lectures and assignments. Think of them as free points for being present!
- Final Project: This will be the bulk of your grade and you should get started ASAP. You will work on your product throughout the quarter and it will be fun!
This is the grading breakdown for this class:
- 2% Professionalism - be respectful and kind in your interactions with one another and with Professors and TAs
- 5% Class Participation - be present at lecture and engage with us! easy peasy...
- 10% Quizzes - 10 brief quizzes once a week (1% each)
- 13% Homework - simple programming assignments each week revolving around the dashboard
- 25% Labs/Sprint Presentations - 3 presentations in the 3rd, 6th, and 9th weeks
- 45% Final Project - due at the end of week 10... more details to come in class!
This was Sprint update #1. No audio was recorded.
This one was eaten by gremlins, unfortunately.
This was Sprint update #2. No audio was recorded.